YOU ASKED FOR IT

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some people love pickles. Some people don't.

When I posted about making pickles here, some of you asked for the recipe.

"Granny" died with the recipe in her head. As simple as it was, I couldn't remember it.

But here is the recipe I use for making two jars of homemade pickles--one for you and one for a lucky friend:

2 lbs. (about 10) pickling cucumbers 2 c. water 2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 c. distilled white vinegar 1 Tbsp. course salt 1/2 c. sugar 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh dill

In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and let stand at room temp. 1 hr.
Fit cucumbers into two 1 qt. jars; pour in enough of vinegar mixture to cover cucumbers. Tighten lids and refrigerate at least 1 week before serving to develop flavor.
(Note: Instead of letting stand at room temp. I heat the ingredients to the boiling point. I pour it into the two jars, wait for it to cool and then put into the refrig. for at least 24 hours. There are very few things I want to wait ten days for. LOL)

4 comments:

ChristyJan said...

Thanks for the recipe. As soon as my plants yield a few more cucumbers I'm going to try this.

Loren said...

thanks Clif! We will certainly give this a try! :)

SmilingSally said...

Thanks for the recipe.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

You're making me want pickles! I just may try this!

Katherine