ONE STUPID DECISION AWAY

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

By all accounts, Steve McNair, the Titans famed quarterback, was a gifted leader. He led the Titans to the playoffs four times and eventually to Super Bowl XXXIV. He was loved by teammates, fans, and the media. In Nashville, he was a local hero.

a fork in the road

But off the field, his life gradually unraveled. He was arrested for DUI and illegal gun possession in 2003. Four years later, in 2007, he was again arrested for DUI, along with his brother-in-law. He was traded to the Baltimore Raven is 2005 and then retired in April 2008 at the age of 35.

Sadly, just one year later, he was found dead in a rented condominium in Nashville, along with his 20-year-old mistress. Eventually, the police determined that McNair’s girlfriend had shot him in his sleep and then killed herself. Their deaths were ruled a murder-suicide.

I don’t recount this tragic story to judge Steve McNair. We are all sinners. In the words of John Bradford, “But for the grace of God go I.”

But McNair’s story is a cautionary tale. It is a reminder that all of us are only one stupid decision away from destroying our lives and our legacy. It is sobering, isn’t it?

I doubt that McNair woke up one morning and thought, You know, I think I’ll have an affair with a woman nearly half my age. It will be fun for a few months. But then she’ll kill me, then herself. My wife and my four sons will spend the rest of their lives trying to forgive me.

No, we never have that kind of clarity at the beginning. Instead, we make some small decision. Perhaps for McNair, it was simply a decision to flirt with an attractive waitress at a restaurant he frequented. Then it snowballed from there.

One bad decision became two. Two became three. And eventually it cascaded into a violent, unexpected end. Twenty years from now, his family and friends will still be trying to get over his untimely—and unseemly—death.

But Steve is gone. What are the lessons for us? We still have choices ahead. I think there are at least five:

  1. We never make decisions in a vacuum. Everything matters. Our words and actions will echo into eternity.
  2. One moment of indiscretion will be remembered forever. It can wipe away a lifetime of good deeds, all of which will be forgotten.
  3. We are all vulnerable to lapses in judgment. If we think we are not, we are setting ourselves up for failure.
  4. We need to build a support system of family and friends who will care enough to challenge us when we veer off course.
  5. We need to live our lives on-purpose. In my experience, the best way to do this is to create a life plan and review it frequently. If you don’t have a road map, you could end up anywhere.

As humans, we have the privilege of determining our legacy. We can decide how we want to be remembered. But this is not a single choice; it is a series of choices. It’s never too late to change course and make your life count.

Question: How do you want to be remembered? What decisions do you need to make today to move yourself toward that outcome?


MICHAEL HYATT IS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICE AT THOMAS NELSON PUBLISHING COMPANY. I RECEIVE A DAILY ARTICLE FROM HIM BY EMAIL. THIS ONE IS EXCELLENT AND I WANTED TO SHARE IT WITH YOU.

7 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

This has become my new life! I don't want to live a life of regrets nor do I just want to be someone who just was. I want to make an impact in the neighborhood around me, the city I live in, the county I reside in and the state in which I call home. One small step at a time can make a powerful difference if only we make one!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

RCUBEs said...

And time is so precious. And our lives, as we know it are short-lived. We battle with our every decisions and making choices. If there's no guidance from the Light, then how can one choose to take that path toward the right one? It is a sad story and may we all learn from every tragedy. God bless.

Loren said...

Clif,

Living life on Purpose! How I wish so many could have that education. To learn and heal the past mistakes and forgive those that we were born into first. Then to live according to the Will of our Father. I know for me I lived only what I knew, then after meeting Jesus and continuing to live with those generational curses still affecting my life, marriage and my childrens future I found a Life Coach. The Lord so used her to teach us this very thing.....living on Purpose! It took alot of years to learn but my life was forever changed and that of my children and grandchildren as well! God is so willing to guide us each and every day and every step of the way! Thankyou for this post

Ms.Daisy said...

Wow,Clif, so many questions to contemplate here. Thanks for a very good post.


~Jean

Cheptoek said...

Thank you for this powerful message. I am so glad I scrolled down and read the posts I had not read in the couple of days I have not been on your blog. This is so full of impact and has set me thinking about a lot of things. I will share it with my family and friends. I also love the photo you put it with. The scene is beautiful in itself and the symbolism too.

Donetta said...

Thank you for the referral in this post. I am beginning the process with anticipation.

Warren Baldwin said...

Sad article, but so true. Excellent warning. Thanks for sharing. wb