"WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I SAID"

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I preached for forty-seven years. People leaving church on Sunday morning would occasionally make comments about points in my sermon I never made. I would think, "Where did that come from."

Now it happens on my blog.

Frank Page tells the story of a preacher who asked his congregation if anybody needed special prayer. Bubba stood up and said, "I do. I need prayer for my hearing."

The preacher led and the congregation prayed for Bubba's hearing. Then the preacher asked him, "So how's your hearing now?"

Bubba said, "I don't know it's not til Wednesday."

What we think or write is not always what others hear or read.

May your communications be clear this week.

7 comments:

rcubes said...

That's true! We must be careful and perhaps, need to listen more! Sometimes, we assume right away without hearing the whole story. I guess that man will have great open ears anyway when his "hearing" comes :) God bless.

bp said...

I like that, excellent point made. Hope you're having a nice week.

SmilingSally said...

Good one, Clif!

Loren said...

Yes Clif ~ great point!
Let me be clear....I love your blog.
I love learning from you and even though you may not preach from the pulpit any longer you still have a ministry and I am blessed to be a part of your continued anointing here in this blog world!

thankyou for your continued prayers!
love to you

Dixie said...

stopping by to say hi... and thought I'd add a big "AMEN" to that one!

Lori Heyd said...

That made me smile here sitting at my desk :-)It happens so often, it is amazing how selective hearing can be sometimes, love your thoughts. Lori

Cherdecor said...

Oh, that is a good one! I hope I can remember this story.