WE HAVE LOST OUR SENSE OF URGENCY

Friday, June 18, 2010

There is an old saying, "Everybody talkin' about heaven ain't goin' there."

Most of us recognize the truth in this crude statement.

The problem is--we don't seem to care.

Universalists may believe that everybody will eventually be saved--but most people don't believe this.

There was a time when Christians were evangelistic, especially in our outreach to our friends and loved ones.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't see that sense of urgency today. We seem satisfied to try to help people live happy, peaceful, comfortable lives. Life is tough. We try to make it possible to get through the day.

If Christ is the only way and many have not given their lives to Him, aren't they going to be lost? Even if they are nice, polite, hard working, good citizens, aren't they going to be lost without Christ?

Many people I know either do not believe those outside of Christ will be lost or they have just lost their sense of urgency in reaching out to them.

I too have decided that it's not the best way to close a worship service by extending an "invitation" and singing songs like, "Just As I Am" and "Why Not Tonight?". But I believe that if we are not going to do this that we need to be inviting people to Christ in as many other ways as possible.

I think of the haunting words of an old "invitation" song, "Almost, but lost."

1 comments:

Lori Heyd said...

HI Cliff, I touched on this on my post from June 15th...Yes, I do think we have lost our sense of urgency. There was a time when my Grandfather would freely ask, "Do you know Jesus?" to anyone he met. Now we are afraid of being labeled a right wing evangelical wacko. He did it because he really cared.

Blessings to you.....Lori