HOW BIG IS YOUR GOD?

Saturday, June 26, 2010

I strongly believe that the way we live is a consequence of the size of our God. The problem many of us have is that our God is too small. We are not convinced that we are absolutely safe in the hands of a fully competent, all-knowing, ever-present God.

When we wake up in the morning, what happens if we live with a small God?

 We live in a constant state of fear and anxiety because everything depend on us. Our mood will be governed by our circumstances. We will live in a universe that leaves us deeply vulnerable.

We cannot be generous because our financial security depends on us.

When we need to give someone strong words of confrontation or challenge, we will be inclined to pull our punches. That is because if we don't live in the security of a big God's acceptance, we become slaves to what others think of us.

If we face the temptation to speak deceitful words to avoid pain we will probably do it. We may try to get credit for something at work that does not belong to us because we don't trust in a Big God who sees in secret and will one day give reward.

If somebody gets mad at us or disapproves, we will get all twisted up in knots---we will not have the security of knowing that a giant God is watching out for us.

When human beings shrink God, they offer prayer without faith, work without passion, service without joy, suffering without hope. It results in fear, retreat, loss of vision and failure to persevere.

(The above words are not mine. I wish they were but they are not. They are the words of John Ortberg from his marvelous book, If You Want To Walk On Water, You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat.)

18 comments:

Loren said...

What a great post! I have been guilty of this at times and thank the Lord that HE wakes me up and shows me that HE truly is in control NOT ME!! I do a horrible job of being a JR. HOLY SPIRIT too!!

Have a blessed weekend my friend

Anonymous said...

Brother John sure speaks the truth!

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking words. Thank you for sharing Brother John's words. Blessings to you this weekend.

☺lani☺ said...

Great words from John Ortberg, thanks for sharing with us. Happy Sunday!

Cathy said...

Our God is a big God. He is our hope. Nothing is too hard for Him. Thanks, Clif ~

Gayle said...

So, so true. God is more than enough. We just need to move out of the way. Thank for sharing these inspiring words.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

We limit God on so many levels. I think of the old song, "Fill my cup, Lord," and there's nothing wrong with that, but God has an ocean of blessings out there! God will be as big as we let Him be in our lives. I believe that.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I am very touched by these words. I have seen that book many times but never even picked it up. I will be putting it on my list of books to read soon.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh I have to say as well, aren't we fortunate that God loves us enough that he does not make us small.

Karen said...

That's one thing you can say for Peter: He got out of the boat! This is a good word, Clif. thanks

Sandy said...

I think we might have that book. I'll have to look! I have been reading a lot, about the difference between we give it all to God, and when we don't! God is speaking to me. Thank you so much for this.

Mevely317 said...

Whoops! Could've sworn I left a message earlier. (Where, or where?)
Mr. Ortberg's "what if's" have hit close to home ... how wonderfully necessary these scenarios!

Have a beautiful new week,
Myra

(I love his book's title!)

Virginia said...

Great post....so so true.
Sweet Blessings,
Virginia

Saleslady371 said...

What a great perspective of what happens when our God is too small! Thank you for this.

Renee said...

This is so good and so true...Love the title of the book...getting out of the boat.....Thanks for this great reminder of how big or small our God is. I think of Him as so powerful and BIG but when I fear and worry controls my mind...my actions say something different! God bless..

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Our God is a Big God! My hubby has preached that very thing for years, so much so, that someone made a sign and hung it in the church bearing those words. Good word, Clif; thank you.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Once again Clif your post is a great one. Even thow they are not your words, it was you that shared them, thank-you.
Blessings,
Ginger

A Busy Single Mom said...

Wonderful post! Very true!