FIREFLIES

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Growing up in Oklahoma I loved to go outside at night and see all the fireflies or lightening bugs.

We lived in California for years and now in Arizona. I can't recall ever seeing a firefly in either state.

I have missed them!

My blogging friend Loren, who lives in Oklahoma, makes me long for them even more when she writes about being outside on a beautiful Oklahoma night and seeing so many of them.

I have questions:

1. Why didn't I see fireflies in California and now why don't I see them in Arizona? Do I need to have my glasses changed?

2. Have they just not migrated West? When the "Okies" piled their mattresses on their cars and fled Oklahoma, did the fireflies stay behind?

3. Do you have fireflies where you live?

Did I hear you say, "With the mess the world's in I don't have time for this dribble" ?

Ah, my friend it's a diversion---a diversion. Get your eyes off the mess for a few minutes and look for the fireflies.

6 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I've lived in California my whole life and never seen fireflies. I wonder if it's simply a climate thing.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Loren said...

I wish I could catch some and send them to you! Making sure I had a male and female and then they could begin a whole new Arizone generation ;)

I never see one without thinking of you nowadays! I really do wonder why they aren't in Arizona???? It is soooo much nicer weather wise there!

Love to you & Charlotte!

Lori Heyd said...

Cliff, yes there are fireflies in California, I saw them myself at Disneyland (Pirates of the Caribbean!) HA! I have always wanted to see them in real life...

Anonymous said...

I grew up in California and moved to Idaho, Washington and now West Virginia. The first time I saw fireflies (here they're called lightning bugs) was the first summer I was in West Virginia. I look forward to seeing them EVERY year. I enjoy sitting on the porch swing and watching them. It's a great diversion and a wonder that God created such simple beauty for us to enjoy!!

Cathy said...

Oh, yes, we do have lightening bugs here in NC I don't think we have as many now though, as when I was growing up. What fun to catch them and put them in jars with holes on top. :) It could be too hot in AZ?

Kelly said...

We have fireflies or lightening bugs here in PA. I grew up watching them and catching them on summer nights as a child. Their habitat is in tropical rain forests or temperate deciduous wooded areas. To read a good article on them, go to the following website:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v4/n2/lightning-bugs