FATHER'S DAY: A TRIBUTE

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The following words today are from Max Lucado's excellent book,God Came Near. I had to edit it to the length I wanted for this post. I feel I have captured the heart of what he wanted to say.

Today  is Father's Day. A day of cologne. A day of hugs, new neckties, long-distance telephone calls, and hallmark cards.

Today is my first Father's Day without a father. For thirty-one years I had one. I had one of the best. But now he's gone. He's buried under an oak tree in a west Texas cemetery. Even though he's gone, his presence is very near--especially today.

It seems strange that he isn't here. I guess that's because he was never gone. He was always close by. Always available. Always present. His words were nothing novel. His achievements, though admirable, were nothing extraordinary.

But his presence was.

(At this point, Max Lucado describes all the ways his father was present for him. To be brief I needed to leave this out. Please, in your own mind, fill in this space with thoughts of your own father. I hope you had/have a good one.)

He comes to mind often. When I smell "Old Spice" after shave, I think of him. When I see a bass boat I see his face. ...And I knew if I ever needed him, he'd be there.

Like a warm fireplace.

Maybe that's why this Father's Day is a bit chilly. The fire has gone out. The winds of age swallowed the last splendid flame, leaving only golden embers. But there is a strange thing about those embers, stir them a bit and a flame will dance only briefly, but it will dance. And it will knock just enough chill out of the air to remind me that he is still...in a special way, very present.

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Clif, thank you for sharing this. I always lie readng Max Lucado.
Happy Father's Day to you!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. Max Lucado, he is one of the best! Happy Fathers day to you.
Blessings,
Ginger

Karen said...

Even though Daddy's been gone twelve years, I think of him so often. Thank you for this lovely excerpt and God bless you.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is beautiful...a beautiful touching tribute to a man who made a difference in your life. Happy Father's Day Cliff....

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. A lot of us are missing our fathers right now... There are so many memories. I feel my dad's prescence from time to time. It is then that I will talk to him. He was such a good listener. I look forward to our reunion in heaven some day.

Mevely317 said...

Beautiful!
Happy Father's Day, Clif!

A Busy Single Mom said...

Beautiful post from such a wonderful author!

Regina said...

Wonderful tribute.
Happy Father's Day, Clif.
Regards and God bless.
Regina

bp said...

Happy Father's Day to you! Hope you are having a great day.

I like your post. I have a Max Lucado daily calendar and this week it has had some portions of this book. Thanks for sharing more.

Renee said...

This brought me to tears today....beautiful and sad....I enjoy Max Lucado so much...and miss my father today...God bless.

Gayle said...

Love this so much.

Rhodema said...

Thank you for sharing from a master author.

Fatherhood is so important in our lives. Above all thanks for our heavenly father.

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing those sweet words, Cliff. Happy Father's Day!