SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER

Thursday, December 16, 2010

SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder affects thousands of people--70-80% are women.

Well, I'm not a woman but I have often thought I must be a victim of this disorder.

The symptoms of this disorder are a sense of sadness, loss and lethargy. 

It is brought on by the lack of light or sunshine like on a dark, murky, winter day.

Thank goodness we don't have many days like that in Arizona or at least the part of Arizona where I live.

Just now I'm sitting where I can look out over the top of an orange tree loaded with fruit and on past my neighbor's wet, red tiled roof. The sky is dark and gray.

But guess what? I don't feel sad at all. I am thoroughly enjoying this!

It may be because we have so few days like this that I am just glad to see the rain and think about the cool, refreshing air outside. Maybe.

Earlier I stood with one arm around Charlotte, looking out our kitchen window, watching the rain fall gently into our pool. I said, "Aren't we blessed to have a nice home. To be inside out of the rain and not out on the street someplace."

Maybe I'm growing up, coming to my senses and maybe, just maybe I am grateful for all the blessings God has bestowed upon us. I hope that's it.

We'll find out as we go on and move into winter. Am I truly mature and grateful or will I be fickle and SAD?

0 comments: