PILGRIM HEART

Friday, August 04, 2006

Darryl Tippens is provost of Pepperdine University where he is also professor of Early Modern Literature. He is the author of essays on literature, film, spirituality, and contemporary culture. Darryl has written a book, Pilgrim Heart, The Way OF Jesus In Everyday Life, which will bless your life.

This book invites readers to consider afresh the way of Jesus in light of practices that have proven to transform lives for two thousand years. These include friendship, Sabbath rest, hospitality, confession, forgiveness, listening, discernment, singing, creating and experiencing the arts and telling stories.

A long time friend recently gave me a copy of this good book. When I began to read it I was lifted up and then cast down. I found it easy to read, but hard to live out the message in everyday life. After reading a few chapters I had to sit it aside and a do some soul searching. It’s easy to preach about Jesus, but not so easy to live like him.

After a few days I picked up the book to resume reading. The inscription on the inside cover caught my eye: To my best friend, Clif. I am now reading again with renewed enthusiasm. It’s good to have best friends. Two of mine are Jesus and Paul Covey.

You should read this book and then give a copy to a friend. You both will be blessed!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clif. Sorry to hear about the old man and the recliner (not as good a title as ...and the sea). Covey has encouraged me to read Pilgrim Heart also, so I see I am in good company.

Randy Wray and his family arrived in Stockton today. I told him I enjoyed his blog, Mike Cope's and yours.
I think you would enjoy his, he has humor and depth, like you. Just search Randy Wray blog.
Hope all is well with both of you. I continue to be your Constant Reader.
Sandy