I'LL NEVER FORGET---FROM SEVEN TO SEVENTY-SEVEN

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

"READ ALL ABOUT IT!" "READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

It was Sunday afternoon, December 7, 1941.

"What's all that yelling about?" "I don't know."

My mother and I were just coming out of the Palace Theater in Lawton, Oklahoma.

Looking around we could see young boys on every corner with arms full of newspapers.

Small crowds were gathered around them buying papers, gesturing wildly and terribly upset.

My mother bought a paper.

THE HEADLINE SCREAMED THE NEWS: PEARL HARBOR HAD BEEN BOMBED!! WE WERE AT WAR!

Home was only a few blocks away. We walked fast but it seemed like it took much longer to get home than usual. HOME. It felt good to be there.

Mother looked sad, worried. I felt sorry for her. I really didn't know how to feel.

I was seven then. I am seventy-seven now.

I have revisited that day many times in my mind on many different occasions and for many different reasons.

I WILL NEVER FORGET!

I LOVE AMERICA!

0 comments: