CLIF A TO Z (A) ATHENS

Thursday, August 15, 2013



Riding through the city in a tour bus one of the first things I remember seeing was a huge billboard advertising Coca-Cola. The words on the bottle were in Greek. I learned a little Greek while a student at Abilene Christian. The second thing I remember seeing was the ancient coliseum where the Olympic games were played.

But the most impressive thing, and the pictures locked in my memory are of the Acropolis. What an amazing place.

As I walked around trying to take it all in, the words of the Apostle Paul from Acts 17 kept rambling around in my head. I wondered what his message would be for all the tourist out on that hill and the people living in Athens in 1978. Now as I write this in 2013 I wonder what his message would be today. I have a pretty good idea, but I would like to hear it from him.

Greece is a wonderful country to visit. I hope you get to go there someday.

ACROPOLIS
The Acropolis hill (acro - edge, polis - city), so called the "Sacred Rock" of Athens, is the most important site of the city and constitutes one of the most recognizable monuments of the world. It is the most significant reference point of ancient Greek culture, as well as the symbol of the city of Athens itself as it represent the apogee of artistic development in the 5th century BC. During Perikles' Golden Age, ancient Greek civilization was represented in an ideal way on the hill and some of the architectural masterpieces of the period were erected on its ground.

1 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Wish I had been in the right state of mind to really appreciate Athens while we were there! That's so neat that you were taught Greek at ACC (oops, ACU).

Unfortunately, the only real memory of visiting the Acropolis involved someone (unintentionally) stepping on my 12 y/o son's foot not long after surgery.
... that, and my sweet momma's subtle response to the tour guide's estimates of how many people visit each year: "Yes, I think they're ALL here today."

So much to imagine, were Paul here today.