FROM STARBUCKS TO THE STAINED GLASS SANCTUARY

Monday, August 02, 2010

For the past six years I have spent most of my time at home and with Charlotte.

I love our home and I love Charlotte.

Today while walking at the mall I remembered something I had almost forgotten. For years, in the days when I went to the pulpit every Sunday, I was always mentally working on a sermon. It didn't seem to make any difference where I was, what I was doing or who was there---my mind was on Sunday's message.

That is no longer true. I don't preach any more and there is no need to prepare sermons. Oh, I still find myself thinking about messages that need to be preached and thinking about what I might say on a particular subject. But I am no longer preoccupied with sermon preparation.

For many years almost everything provided seeds for a sermon---everything!

Now, since most of my time is spent at home and with Charlotte I realize I need to be out and about more making connections between modern life and the Scriptures.

During the month of September I will be back in the pulpit. In the meantime I need to be at the mall, Starbucks, sporting events, and other social activities. I need to mingle, pay attention and learn. Maybe we all do.

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

You sure summed up a lot of my activity - thinking about the next sermon. One of my sayings is, "Sunday's coming." It's always coming, fast and furiously!

Very insightful to pay attention to the mall, sporting events, etc. That is the only way we can bring the world of the Bible and our world together on Sunday morning. Good job.

Loren said...

Honestly, I am glad to hear that you include other subjects in your thought and seeking for your next sermon because as a woman It always drove me crazy when our Pastor would talk Football into his sermon. I knew NOTHING about it (rules and such) and so rarely did I "get" his point in how it lined up with the Word.

Praying for you and knowing the Holy Spirit will speak to you and through you as you prepare and as you preach! I really do want the tapes if it is an option ok!!

Love and blessings