YOUR SHEPHERD PROMISES TO GUIDE YOU

Friday, August 13, 2010


Many of us know the twenty-third Psalm.
It begins: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." Even if we do not know the entire psalm we know these first few words. But we don't believe them. Or at least we don't act like we do.
God has promised to both guide and guard us. We need to believe He will keep his promise and take comfort that just as a shepherd finds and redirects sheep that get off course, He will do the same for us.
We need to take seriously the role of the Holy Spirit in guiding his people, neither downplaying the supernatural element of divine guidance nor elevating it beyond our reach to the level of the "super-spiritual," or worse, the superstitious.
                                 Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
                                    Lead thou me on!
                                 The night is dark, and I am far from home;
                                     Lead thou me on!
                                  Guide thou my feet; I do not ask to see
                                     The distant scene; one step enough for me.
                                                              John Henry Newman (1801-1890)
God is alive and well and active in our lives today. He loves us and He will not leave us. He guides and directs us and even if we do not understand how He does it, we need to believe He does and live like it!                               

17 comments:

Daughter of the KING said...

Recently I had a personal experience where Psalm 23 played a major role - had that story ready to post but ened up posting something different. Will have to post it next week.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me besides the still waters."

Thank you Clif for your post. I am so glad that "God is alive and well and active in our lives today."

Blessings,
Linda J

Merana Leigh said...

I, too, love your post, especially that God alive and well and ACTIVE in our lives today.

I was reading further in "In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart" by Ruth Graham (daughter of Billy Graham) & she spoke of just this thing. That even in our mistakes & shortcomings, God will make good come from it if we come honestly to His feet with a repentant heart, seeking His counsel.

Great post - thank you for sharing!

I really enjoy following you. I invite you to mine & to follow, as well. I will welcome any comments you care to share.

In Christ ~ Merana

PS - I HIGHLY recommend this book to add to your shelves!

Whidbey Woman said...

AMEN! More of Him and less of us. We need to tune into the Spirit's work in our lives.

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK said...

Amen and AMEN! God has used Psalm 23 in my life in so many ways, including comforting me through these wonderful Bible verses! I am always blessed by them and appreciated this post as well. :)

Mevely317 said...

I love your last line!
What feelings of unease and fear that come over me anytime I try(!) to rationalize and "figure out" our Father's ways.
Better we assume the unquestioning faith of a child...
... and if we question too often, be told, "Because I said so!"

Virginia said...

I thank the Lord for all he has done for me and brought me through. That is why I love this scripture so much because it lets me know that no matter what I go through, the Lord is always there!!
Great post, thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Virginia

Renee said...

I really like this post, Clif. Speaks volumes to me. Love the last sentence....we need to believe he does, and live like it.

Kelly said...

Amen! I take my boys to a local Christian Library to check out books for them to read because I can trust what they are choosing and not have to spend hours scanning books for inappropriate scenes and language, and this past week, my littlest one chose a sweet children's story based on Psalm 23.

Lani said...

Thankyou Lord for being with us all the time no matter what! Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Another Amen! There is so much in the twenty-third Psalm that many folks miss. Thanks for pointing it out and yes, we do need to live our lives in such a way that we show Him that we trust in Him; that He will do just as He promises.

Blessings,
Sandi

Loren said...

Taking seriously the role of the Holy Spirit is soooo important. It has amazed me how many believers completely ignore or quench the Spirit. Can you imagine how it grieves the Spirit???

What a wonderful post! I am soooo glad you came for a visit! I have missed you! I told my daughter If I ever see you and Charlotte in person I think I would just cry and cry! :) LOL You both bless me more than I could ever express!

Enjoy your weekend

Karen said...

Very inspiring post...I have believed my whole life...as long as I can remember...but not so on the living part...so thankful my Shepherd was patient with me...

Nikki (Sarah) said...

This is so true...He really does guide us. Thanks for the reminder Cliff...Have a great Sonday

Carrie said...

Amen!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

All I need to say is Amen!
Ginger

Elizabeth Dianne said...

A good word, Clif. I am so sorry for the times I do not live like I believe God's Word--God forgive me and help me and the others here at Spiritual Sundays be a beacon to a world who wants to believe. May our actions prove that God is Who He said He IS!

Thank you for this awesome reminder.

Cathy said...

Thanks for that wonderful post, Clif. Since I wrote that music to Psalm 23, I am seeing so many posts about it. Blessings ~