INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN WORSHIP

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dick Soule writes good stuff. His recent article on Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs got me to thinking about “church music” again.

For many years I preached for and worshipped with the Churches of Christ. We did not use instrumental music in our worship. Our singing was always a cappella. The sad thing is that we believed and taught that those who did worship with instruments were sinning.

For the past sixteen years I have worshipped with instrumental music and do not believe it is wrong. However, I want to say loud and clear that if I was still preaching for a Church of Christ that I would not want to bring instruments into the service and disrupt the tradition. However, I would want to feel free not to condemn those who use instruments in their worship and I would want to allow instruments at weddings and other “special” occasions.

I know of a lady who plays absolutely beautiful piano music that lifts your heart toward God. I am listening to her music right now. She is truly blessed of God to be able to play like this and she did not have any lessons. She just started playing. If a person is gifted of God to learn and play instruments they should use these gifts to his glory.

You will find Dick Soule’s words on Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs very interesting. Why not check it out at http://www.peculiarpress.com/index_main.htm Click on Ekklesia Then and Now.

If you attend the Bible Lectureship at Pepperdine University in Malibu in May you will sing a cappella and the worship will be wonderful. If in June you move on to the North American Christian Convention in Louisville, you will worship with singing and instrumental music and you will feel blessed to be there.

EVERYTHING WE DO SHOULD BE DONE TO THE GLORY OF GOD! EVERYTHING WE DO TO THE GLORY OF GOD IS WORSHIP!

0 comments: