SITTIN’ ON THE CORNER

Monday, April 10, 2006

In the “old” days when Saturday afternoon rolled around, you headed for town. Town was the place to be on Saturday afternoon. When I say town -- I don’t mean city. There is a difference if you’re from Oklahoma. Town was an exciting place, was it? Nope, not much going on. Well, why on earth did you want to go there?

WE WENT THERE TO SIT IN THE CAR AND WATCH THE PEOPLE GO BY!

I didn’t always sit inside the car. In fact, I didn’t like sitting in the car at all. I liked sitting on one of the front fenders. It was a great parade. You didn’t have to sit there long until you had seen just about everybody in town. Of course, if the truth be told, you wanted to be seen more than see.

Saturday afternoon Charlotte and I went to Kierland Commons --our town. I went to the book store and she went to Sur la Table. Walking back from the book store I found her sitting on a bench on the corner. I sat down and for awhile we watched the people go by.
Weather wise it was a fantastic day. The Commons is a splendid place to spend a Saturday afternoon. There were a lot of people out. Occasionally a man walked by but almost 9 out of 10 of the people strolling by were women. Well, let me be honest, I had much rather watch women walk by than men. Coming or going they look better.

This reminded me of a line from the song, “Take It Easy” made famous by the Eagles in 1972. In 1970 a life-sized bronze statue depicting a man standing on a corner was unveiled in Winslow, Arizona. The Eagles first hit single made this statue and Winslow famous. “Well I’m standin’ on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see; It’s a girl, my Lord, in a flatback Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me.”

How about that? A girl, slowin’ down to look at this guy. How about that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This early a.m. is time to catch up on Clif's blog. On this day it reminded me of many years ago when my grandfather came to CA to visit us. He was from the very small town of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas. Mom took him downtown and while she shopped he stayed in the car to watch the people. In those days one could still park on main street. While sitting in the car in front of a shoe store, he observed a mama and a small boy. He was being "towed" by his mom, who was in a big hurry. She stopped at the shoe store window for a little window shopping. The boy continued to run in place. My granddad was so impressed with the hussle and bustle of city life he went home and wrote an article for the local news paper about how fast it was there in the huge city of San Jose, CA and the small boy who was prepared to take up the rush again at a tug.

Musings of A Minister said...

A lot of interesting things have happened out on Main Street---all across America. A lot of interesting stuff is going on out there now. Different---but interesting.