COWBOYS

Saturday, September 02, 2006

“Awh, I’m just a cowboy.” I heard my friend Glenn describing himself to a fellow passenger as we winged our way across the ocean on the way to Ethiopia. I smiled. Glen wears boots, jeans and western shirts. He lives outside of town and raises Arabian horses. But Glen is not a cowboy. He has a degree from the University of California at Berkley and is a successful salesman for a chemical company.

I was thinking about Glenn the day we visited the Annual Cowboy Artists of America Exhibition. I’m not a cowboy and I have never had any interest in art. But what can I say, the seniors from the church were going so I went along, mumbling to myself. The only cowboys I “know” are John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. And everybody knows they were not “real” cowboys.

BUT TO MY SURPRISE—GREAT SURPRISE, I LIKED IT!

The 41st Annual Cowboy Artists of America Exhibition & Sale is October 21-November 19 at the Phoenix Art Museum. Try it, you will like it. This is good stuff!

0 comments: