WHAT TO DO ABOUT LONELINESS

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The following is taken and adapted from John Ortberg's great book, Everybody's Normal Till You Get To Know Them.

There is a little volume called The All Better Book in which elementary school children try to solve some of the world's knottiest problems. Here's the toughest: "With billions of people in the world, someone should be able to figure out a system where no one is lonely." What do you suggest?"

People should find lonely people and ask their name and address. Then ask people who aren't lonely their name and  address. When you have an even amount of each, assign lonely and not lonely people together in the newspaper.
                                                               Kalani, Age 8 (Obviously this is a girl
                                                                            with the gift of administration)                          
 We could get people a pet or a husband or a wife and take them places.
                                                                          Matt, Age 8 (This makes you wonder about                   
                                                                                               Matt's understanding of marriage.)


But the most touching response, the one that can break your heart comes last:

 Sing a song. Stomp your feet. Read a book. (Sometimes I think
                                    no one loves me, so I do one of these.)
                                                                                             Brian, Age 8

"With billions of people in the world, someone should be able to figure our a system where no one is lonely."


Someone did

...God invites us into the Fellowship of the Trinity. You see, the Father is very fond of you. 

14 comments:

Mevely317 said...

This has touched me on many levels, Clif ....
Feeling lonely - even when surrounded by others - sometimes still gets "a-holt" of me.

Thankfully, we've a Best Friend whose always near!

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Thank you! I'm sure everyone can relate, I know I can! How wonderful that Jesus never abandons!

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Sometimes I think children have the best solutions for what troubles us. They're so simply in their eyes.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Wonderful post, Clif! I can so relate to this. My family moved around so much that I never was able to get close to anyone. But Jesus was there all along and He helped me through the alone times.

Blessings,
Sandi

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is totally awesome b/c I think so many people are lonely. That little boy's comment was sad. And Jesus does fill that hole in our soul like nothing else can. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

A good reminder to reach out to the lonely. I work in a skilled nursing home/rehab center. So many of the folks there are lonely. Some have family that live just around the corner but rarely visit them. It breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

A very thought-provoking post Clif. Children have a way with words that makes us sit up and pay attention.

Joe Todd said...

Enjoyed your post. I have known lonliness in my life but it has been a long time ago. Question: Have you read " The Shack" and if so what did you think about it?

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Yes, He did, didn't He? I am ever grateful for His companionship.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I enjoy being alone, but there is such a big difference on being alone and being lonely. This boy's comment broke my heart.
Hugs and Blessings,
Ginger

Donnie said...

What lovely words on this blessed Sunday.

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Such a thought-provoking post. I love the children's responses. Thanks for sharing!

Renee said...

Very thought provoking post...lonliness is such powerful in the lives of so many....the responses of the kids were amazing.

Sue said...

Out of the mouth of babes,Children seem to have more wisdom than most adults. I love the picture you have shared.
As always very inspiring posting.
I read your last post, and smiled. Very sweet,and I know Charlotte will be so blessed.
Blessings,
Sue