BOOK REVIEW

Thursday, February 03, 2011

ALWAYS TRUE
[God's 5 promises when life is hard]
By James MacDonald 

OVERVIEW: This book contains five promises God makes over and over, to every, person of faith, in every generation. When you make these truths your own, they'll become intensely personal, incredibly practical, and profoundly reliable.

AUTHOR: James MacDonald is the founding and senior pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel in suburban Chicago with a weekend attendance of 13,000 and more than sixty church plants across North America and around the world. Pastor James's teaching can be heard on Walk in the Word, a daily thirty-minute radio program heard on 1,100 outlets across North America. Pastor James  is a frequent speaker around the world and serves on the Board of the Gospel Coalition.

MY REVIEW:  Always True is a book I needed to read. It came to me at a time when I felt a need for reassurance that what I am always posting on my blog and "preaching" to others is really true. Oh, I know the Word of God is true. I have no doubts about that. But sometimes I get to thinking that maybe what I'm telling my friends is not what they need to hear at that time. James MacDonald's message from the Bible is intensely personal, incredibly practical and profoundly reliable. I am familiar with the five promises he writes about but I have now committed myself to memorizing the verses I don't have in my memory. I don't want to have to try to recall them and then search for the Scriptures. I want them ready for instant recall.

Life is hard and we all need more than just lessons—we need life support. These promises from God are what we need "when out of nowhere a boulder drops from the sky and crash lands on our lives. It might be a serious illness, a job loss, or something that just wasn't in the plan...But the weight is often sudden and crushing. We're desperate for help to come or we might not make it." This book was born out of that kind of situation and I believe it will be helpful to anybody who will read it.

2 comments:

Margie Smith said...

The wisdom of the 5 statements are too good to not to be remembered.

Loren said...

Sounds like a great read! Clif, I have NEVER been here and left feeling Preached AT nor have I ever thinking that what I read wasn't of importance. On the contrary, I learn, I gleen, and I am so blessed and encouraged. I am so very thankful for you & your blog and the wisdom you share with us with each and every post :)