TO LOVE IS TO BE VULNERABLE

Monday, February 14, 2011

Born to lose, I've lived my life in vain
Every dream has only brought me pain
All my life I've always been so blue

Born to lose and now I'm losing you.
Much of the music I listened to growing up in Oklahoma was about unrequited love.
The songs all seemed to be about loving but not having loved returned.
Over the years the theme for many of our songs remains the same---unrequited love. 

Experiencing this failure of love, many hold back, afraid to love for fear of being rejected.

Don't do it. Will your love be rejected. Probably not. But it may be!

LOVE ANYWAY!

IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE.

I like this quote by C.S. Lewis from his book, The Four Loves. My copy, printed in Great Britain in 1960 is old and turning yellow but the words are just as true today as when he first wrote them.

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."
C.S. Lewis (The Four Loves)

0 comments: