THE PURSUIT OF TRUTH IN THE COMPANY OF FRIENDS

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

There is a plaque at the University of California, Santa Cruz that proclaims: "The Pursuit of Truth in the Company of Friends."

I like that. I like it a lot! (LOL Sally)

I claimed that as my motto for every church I worked with.

I felt like that's what I was doing for forty-seven years--pursuing truth in the company of friends.

Those were wonderful days. I couldn't have been happier. I enjoyed every day. Sure there were days of frustration, disappointment--sorrow, but most of all it was a wild adventure with God.

I love the church and I want you to love it too. Sure, the church will mess up and break your heart at times. We all understand that. It's made up of people! People just like you and me.

The question from "The Way We Were" is: "If we could do it all again, would we? Could we?....Memories..."

My answer is: "Absolutely. I would do it all again. For me, that's what it's all about: "The Pursuit of Truth in the Company of Friends."

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I'm glad that you liked the saying on the plague a great deal! (tee hee)

Charlotte said...

I loved it too. I would do it all again.
Charlotte

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I too as of yesterday have a renewed interest in pursuing the company of some amazing new friends and even working on building on the ones I already have.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mevely317 said...

My heart's so happy for you ...you and Charlotte both! How many people (myself included) would give their eye teeth to be able to say that about their own life experiences.

Mostly, I'm touched by what you said re. the church breaking one's heart; that it's just made up of people. Why couldn't I have realized that a long time ago?

Thank you, Clif!

Myra

Mary said...

I like what you're saying, Clif. I have some wonderful friends that are friends because we build our relationship on being honest, accepting our shortcomings,and encouraging each other to face our worst fears. That doesn't come without some pain and hurt, but it's the only way to be real. And that is following the example of Jesus, who is the greatest friend of all.