SERMON SLIP

Saturday, August 15, 2009

(I often quote from other sources and make it as clear as I can that the thoughts are not original with me or not my own experience. Regardless, there are always a few readers who misunderstand and think that I wrote the article or that I am talking about myself. PLEASE understand the preacher in the following story is NOT ME! The story teller is William Willimon, Dean of the Chapel and Professor of Christian Ministry at Duke University and the story is from his book, The Last Word)

A deep, irrational fear grips every preacher--the fear of inadvertently saying something inappropriate, tasteless, suggestive, or just plain stupid while preaching.

There is no way to get out of the sermonic sermon slip, no matter how hard you try. You can't go back and explain. It is best to have the congregation immediately stand for the benediction.

I was preaching in a large auditorium in the West. Jet lag had taken its toll--at least that's the best excuse I can find. The person who introduced me had told the crowd of students that I was a great preacher, much in demand, interesting, controversial, and expensive. The pressure was on.

I launched into my sermon, a simple piece unworthy of such an extravagant introduction. "When the sermon is weak, say it louder," somebody once told me. So I was loud, emotional, passionate.
"And what is the most significant event our faith has to offer?" I asked. "The erection!" I bellowed.

Someone in the front row screamed.

"I mean the resurrection!" I said the correct word at least twelve more times. It didn't seem to do any good. Church was out."


18 comments:

Loren said...

oh my goodness!!! LOL poor guy!

RCUBEs said...

LOL...But I'm sure he had the people talking for a while :)

God bless.

Lisa said...

Nothing like a good laugh on Sunday morning!

Saleslady371 said...

Maybe he was used by God to make those people laugh a lot and receive a dose of cheerful healing from the Lord...did you ever think of that?

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Funny! LOL!

Katherine

Elaine said...

Oh, this is so hysterical! I come from a long line of ministers....both grandfathers, father, many relatives, and now one of my sons. I know all too well the incredibly funny things that can be said from the pulpit!.....the family stories we have! Thanks for sharing, Cliff. Laughter is good for the soul and I'm getting a big dose of it with this one! Elaine :)

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I mean how do you seriously follow that up???

Great, cute, and a classically funny moment and I am sure that got more than just a few laughs.

Poor man, I just wonder how he looked at that moment.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Denise said...

So very funny, lol

Denise said...

So very funny, lol

SmilingSally said...

LOL Oh my! LOL

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Oh dear. Can't believe they were so upset. Well, maybe I can! That is funny. It definitely points out something I never thought of before...anxiety/fear over having to preach! Sometimes you forget preachers are human, too. (sorry!)

By the way, thanks so much for the book giveaway, we received it this week. My hubby was so thrilled, he even saw the author speak once at a conference. Have a great Spiritual Sunday!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

That is just too funny~~~~
Ginger

Mevely317 said...

Ditto everyone else's words! (I had tears in my eyes from laughter!)
I sure admire the fact that he can point fun at himself .. vs. going to hide in the corner from sheer embarrassment!

Have a blessed new week!


Myra

Ziggy Stardust said...

That is so funny, I am sure you made a great impression with them. Oh that really made me smile, thank you. We all make mistakes, right?

God bless you Anne

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
Laughter is still the best medicine - but the poor man probably still has palpitations over that one!
Thanks for sharing this and for the good laugh!


~Jean

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Well, Clif, Hubby and I have had our laugh for the day! We've heard some doosies over the years, but that one pretty much tops them all! What's your faux pas? It's a wonder some retired pastor hasn't written a book about such things! Have a wonderful Sunday evening.

Blessings,
Sandi

jeanne said...

Clif, thanks for sharing this very humorous sermon Faux Pas. No one is safe from making a mistake now and then. I know the Lord forgives such things. No worries.

Blessings...Jeanne

Robin said...

that is great!!! LOL Something i would do...lol